Masks and Personal Protective Equipment
At this moment, we are calling on local businesses, organizations and individuals to donate masks and personal protective equipment that may be beneficial to the doctors, nurses and staff.
Please be assured that we are actively seeking and pursuing all avenues to obtain adequate supplies to protect all our Health Care Workers and residents/patients moving forward. Supply procurement efforts are occurring across the country and with help from our community, we can minimize local spread.
How can you help?
Currently, we are requesting the donation of items that comply with the legal directive issued by Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health and supported by science. Local businesses or organizations who may have a stock of PPE include:
· Industrial facilities or plants
· Mechanical or detailing shops
· Dental offices
· Paving companies
· Construction companies
· Large-scale farm operations
This list is not exhaustive, so we are depending on our community to contact us should you have the capability to help our cause. We ask that you share this request with any business or organization within your network that could support our staff, physicians and ultimately, our community.
What items are required?
· MASKS with or without visors
· Visors and or safety glasses
· Hand Sanitizer “table-top 500 ml”
· Isolation gowns both level 2 and level 3
· Nitrile gloves (latex free small/medium/large)
· N95 masks (all types)
The Centre will be accepting sewn masks, for patients/residents, or for staff who are not providing direct patient care. See additional information in regards to non-medical masks here: https://eohu.ca/en/my-health/wearing-a-mask-what-you-need-to-know
While there are no specific guidelines or regulations around making homemade masks, there are some best practices to follow:
- High thread count or tightly woven cotton fabrics are best in terms of material in order to help block out particles (like cotton t-shirt, pillow cases or are good options).
- A layer of interface material is welcome
- Pre-washing material (in hot water) is recommended before sewing
- A piece of metal (like a paper clip or a pipe cleaner) to help make it fit snugly around the nose is helpful
How can I coordiante a donation:
For more information, anyone willing to donate to SJCCC should email:
Unfortunately, we can only accept deliveries at this time and cannot coordinate pick-up of local items. Thank you.