In order to help keep our residents and patients safe during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, there are certain rules we all must follow.
Short Stay Absences
Residents are now permitted to leave SJCCC’s property for a short stay absence. A short stay absence does not include an overnight stay, with the exception of a single-night Emergency Department visit* (see below). Upon return to the Centre, residents will be actively screened but are NOT required to be tested for Covid-19 or to self-isolate.
Residents will be provided with a medical mask to be worn at all times when outside SJCCC (if tolerated) and reminded about the importance of Public Health measures including physical distancing.
*Emergency Department (ED) visits that take place over a single night (e.g., assessment and discharge from the ED spans one overnight period) should also be considered equivalent to an outpatient medical visit that does not require testing or self-isolation upon return. If the resident is admitted to the hospital at any point that takes place over two or more nights, homes should follow the steps outlined under “Re-Admissions” below.
- Any short-stay absence must occur off of the SJCCC property.
- Visitors must follow the recommendations of Public Health Ontario for the duration of the resident/patient absence including wearing a mask, social distancing, practicing good hand hygiene, etc..
- No drop-ins. We ask that you call the appropriate nursing station prior to your planned short-stay absence in order to give the nursing team time to ensure that your loved one is ready for your visit.
- Residents/Patients must wear a surgical/procedural mask for the duration of the short-stay absence (if tolerated).
- You are required to sign in and out at the front screening desk.
Residents may leave SJCCC’s property for a temporary absence (one or more nights) for personal reasons. Upon return to the Centre, the resident will be required to self-isolate for 14 days. For residents who are being discharged from a hospital, please refer to the “Re-Admissions” section below. To discuss taking your loved one for a temporary absence, please contact our Resident/Patient Relations Advisor at 613-933-6040 ext. 21215.
Risk Assessment Considerations
SJCCC, like all Long-Term Care homes, will review and approve all temporary absences based on a case by case risk assessment, but not limited to, the following:
- The Centre’s ability to support self-isolation for 14 days upon the resident’s return.
- Local disease transmission and activity.
- The risk associated with the planned activities that will be undertaken by the resident while out of the home.
- The resident’s ability to comply with local and provincial policies/bylaws.
- Any further direction provided by the MLTC.
If SJCCC denies a temporary absence request, the Centre will communicate this to the resident/substitute decision maker in writing, including the rationale for this decision.
How to Arrange a Pick Up
To take your loved one for a short stay absence or if your loved one has been approved for temporary absence, please contact the appropriate nursing station to arrange your pick up time:
- Quinn House: 21201
- McNeil House: 22101
- Albert House: 22201
- Mantle House: 23101
- Kane House: 23201
Complex Continuing Care
- Macdonnell House: 21301
- Cobey House: 22301
All visitor requirements (prior to each indoor/outdoor visit):
- All visits must be scheduled in advance. Drop-in visits are not permitted.
- You will need to participate in active COVID-19 screening the day of your visit at our main entrance by a Centre employee.
- You must wear a mask at all times during your visit; we request that you supply your own mask. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided for you. For indoor visitation, you MUST wear a surgical/procedure mask at all times, provided by SJCCC.
- A maximum of 2 family members are permitted per visit.
- If you are feeling ill or unwell, please reschedule your visit.
- If you are bringing an item for your loved one, please drop it off at the main entrance (labelled with the resident’s/patient’s name), so that we can sanitize it and bring it to their room.
- Touching the resident/patient is not permitted during the visit. Safe social distancing must be adhered to throughout the visit.
- You will receive an information package, outlining infection control tips, masking, etc.
- The health and safety of our residents and patients are of utmost importance, if you do not comply with the directives outlined by the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Long-Term Care the visit will be suspended.
All visits will be held Monday to Friday only. Bookings are scheduled for a maximum of 30 minutes each. We ask that you book your visit only once a week to allow other families the opportunity to see their loved ones.
How to book your visit:
Complex Continuing Care (Hotel Dieu Patients): Outdoor and/or Indoor visits are scheduled 10:30am – 12:00pm. To book your visit, please email: email@example.com.
Long-Term Care (St. Joseph’s Villa Residents): Outdoor and/or Indoor visits are scheduled 1:00pm – 5:00pm. To book your visit, please call 613-933-6040 ext. 22370
Indoor visitations: You are required to attest that you have received a COVID-19 test, with a negative result within the previous 2 weeks, prior to your visit. Once you have been screened at our front entrance, you will be directed to Jeanne Mance Hall to visit with your loved one.
*Only those 18 years of age and over can visit at this time and must follow all directives for indoor visits.*
Outdoor visitations: You are NO LONGER required to attest that you have received a COVID-19 test, with a negative result within the previous 2 weeks, prior to your visit. Once you have been screened at our front entrance, we ask that all scheduled visitors park in the back-parking lot of SJCCC by using the south RECEIVING entrance located on Water Street, beside Marie de la Ferre Apartments. Please use one of the four designated “Family Parking” spaces available.
*Children 10 years old and over can visit at this time and must follow all directives for outdoor visits.*